Prove Your Optimism, Change a Tire

5:36 AM


It seemed like every Minnesotan flocked to the running paths and bike lanes on Tuesday displaying far too much pale skin.  50 degrees will do that, as we all tend to go a little crazy at the first sign of spring.  My own ride was great: warm sun, puddles that got you wet but not cold, and since we haven’t had much use for industrial snow-clearing equipment around here this winter, roads that weren’t too grimy from salt and sand. 

Still my bike of choice demonstrated that I wasn’t fully on board with the “jump for joy, it’s spring!” mood that everyone else was so vibrantly sporting.  While others were racing around on their road bikes with their knee-warmer-less legs, I was still on my cross bike with its chubby tires and removable fender.  Lame-o.  My road bike, which is itching to go outside and play, was left in the living room, peaking over the windowsill at the fun being had out in the street.

What it comes down to is an issue of optimism.  Well, optimism and laziness.  To get my Ruby out, I would have to change the back tire from the well-worn trainer tire it is currently outfitted with, to my road tire.  No big deal, right?  A mere 10 minutes, and I’m on my way.  But there is more behind that simple decision than getting out the levers. 

Changing the tire means saying goodbye to the trainer, which I absolutely want to do, but do I really believe I’m done with the living room spin workouts for the season?  See, I’m only going to do this once in the spring (see the aforementioned laziness), and there is no going back once the tire is changed (again with the laziness).  The last thing I want is to be looking out the living room window at a March snow squall with no indoor option.  Unfortunately, my pessimism leads me to envision that very scene, even though they are talking about 60s next week.  So my cross bike gets to step up and get dirty, which he enthusiastically does, while my Ruby still sits and waits.

Perhaps I need to be more creative in my solutions.  Maybe what I saw on Tuesday was everyone busting out their B road bikes.  Maybe accepting my laziness will also provide me an opportunity to continue my adherence to the N + 1 theory of bike buying.  I once heard a cyclist say he bought a time trial bike because he was tired of putting his aero bars on for triathlons.  Maybe I need a trainer bike and a road bike to avoid these terrible decisions…clearly it is the only humane thing to do to end this crippling anxiety and pointless pessimism.  

You Might Also Like

4 comments