Want It Wednesday - Coverage of the Vuelta, or, C'mon NBC Sports - Please Suck Less!

6:05 AM


Want to join a real cool club?

Seriously, it's not even a bike...
No, I’m not talking about the Rich Kids of Instagram (only go to the site if you are ready to be enraged)…those dorks aren’t cool enough to join this elite group. 

To be part of Want It Wednesday you have to have an aesthetic eye, a deep love for all things two-wheeled, and a soul brave enough to see something and declare: “I WANT THAT!”  …and you have to go to Jez’s site to sign up…

One of my high school cross country coaches once remarked that, as women, we always read the sports pages back-to-front.  There is a sad truth to that that still holds today – my local sports pages will cover the Lynx (local WNBA team) because they are the best team in the league, offer up a “light” story on a female marathoner right around the Twin Cities Marathon, and call that good reporting of women’s sports. 

So when I started following cycling I felt right at home with the dearth of coverage.  However, the recent decline in what little coverage is out there is disturbing and frustrating.  Two years ago we were able to buy internet streaming coverage of the Giro, Tour, and Vuelta.  It was great – we would come home from work, get everything hooked up to the TV, and stream through the day’s events while eating dinner.  I learned a lot more about cycling tactics by watching the more uncontrolled and spontaneous Giro and Vuelta than I ever have watching the Tour. 

This year we can only watch events live by seeing what streams can be found at sites like cyclingfans.com.  I don’t understand this.  How much money does it cost for NBC Sports to put up a site to allow for a Vuelta-only subscription?  And how much money could they make from fringe sport fans like myself?  Seriously, NBC Sports, are you listening?  I would pay to watch this!

This week’s Want It Wednesday is really one of those head-in-the-clouds dreams: I want coverage of the major world cycling events that is easy to access.  I find it unacceptable that in this internet world we live in today I cannot easily find (and buy…business opportunity here!) access.  Grr…argh…
NBC Sports' current offerings for cycling videos...clearly Big George Hincapie isn't happy about this...

You Might Also Like

2 comments