Thursday, January 3, 2013

4 Simple Goals for January


Everyone is talking resolutions this week, no big surprise there.  I’m not a huge fan of the whole yearly resolution-fest, mainly because setting goals for an entire year is a bit daunting and too easy to give up on.  I like my goals in smaller bites, which gives you more opportunity to celebrate successes, and revise if necessary.

With simplicity in mind, I’ve decided to create 4 simple goals for every month this year.  What I am trying to get at with these goals is to live more intentionally (seriously, did I just articulate a goal for my goals?).  It is all too easy to get caught up in routines without thinking, and then miss opportunities for new thinking, new activities, new pursuits. 

My 4 Simple Goals for January:


1. Eat a vegetable every day.  Ok, I get that this one is silly, but winter in Minnesota automatically triggers the “cheese” part of my brain and throws it into overdrive.  If I don’t go out of my way to eat something green, days can pass before some good vitamins get into my system.  It is not too much of an exaggeration to say that, if I could, I would exist only on bread and cheese.  So, a veggie every day!

2. Practice yoga 3 days a week.  There have been times in my life where my yoga practice was firmly established, and it showed.  I come to yoga reluctantly because my mind is so difficult to manage, but when I’m in the routine I feel more pliable in both my body and mind. 

3. Rest with a plan after Nationals.  I am just a week a way (finally) from my last cyclocross race of the season, and my body is showing it.  My knees are in complete revolt, and just looking at my bike makes me grumble.  It is time to rest, but this year I want to avoid the whole do-nothing-and-hibernate-through-January.  I am not going to completely vegetate, but rather mix in some activities that I don’t normally do (maybe some rollerblading at the Metrodome?).

4. Get a haircut.  Definitely a silly one, but I’ve avoided the stylist for over a year now.  The hair is, quite frankly, out of control.  Time to stop snipping the split ends, and address this embarrassing mess.