4 Simple Goals for August

6:44 AM

Oh my, it must really be summer if it is already the third day of the month and I am just becoming aware of it.  I will enjoy it while I’ve got it, just like I did in July:

Reading:  I seem to be reading everything in sight, now that I have free time.  In July I finished Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, and The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger.  Not a stinker in the bunch. 

Cooking:  Anything with tomatoes.  The tomato, in all of its amazing varieties, is my favorite food – and we are in the high season for juicy and flavorful tomatoes.  A simple and awesome recipe I found is Martha Stewart’s Tomatoes with Crisp Fried Eggplant and Burrata.  How have I advanced this far in my life and only just discovered burrata cheese?   Criminal.

Doing:  My current home project is a horrible one: stripping the old and cracked paint in our front porch so we can re-paint.  The paint is peeling everywhere, but what isn’t peeled is firmly stuck, leaving me with lots of boring manual labor.  Bright side?  Good upper-body work. 

4 Simple Goals for August:

1.  Re-establish my morning yoga routine.  I thought I would do this over the summer, but it just hasn’t happened yet.  Working on my flexibility is important for cyclocross, as I seem to get tighter with each passing week during the season.

2.  Keep up with the reading, even after I go back to work.  I’m deep into The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach and have The Wordy Shipmates by Sara Vowell waiting in the wings.

3.  Plan a reasonable and fun cyclocross season.  There are actually cyclocross races in August (none that I will participate in…), which is a good reminder that a fun season begins with a plan.  There is so much variety in the quality of races around here that if you don’t plan, you wind up in some clunker of a grass crit.

4.  Finish the front porch.  I have a long history of starting DIY projects that never get finished.  This one doesn’t involve any technical knowledge or skill, just brute force.

You Might Also Like

0 comments