The End of Rest...

8:47 AM

Got out to visit Tina at Hillside this weekend
Way back when I ran cross country in college we would show up on campus a few weeks before fall semester for training camp.  It was always a few weeks of ridiculously hard workouts that inevitably turned into races as we all took stock and figured out who was in shape and who slacked off over the summer.  Then the first week of classes would come and we would do next to nothing.  A few light runs, maybe a weight training session, but nothing heavy or hard.  My coach's philosophy, which I always appreciated, included planned rest when we were adjusting to a new schedule of classes.

In the last couple of years I've revived this plan as I head back to work in late August.  The first few weeks back never seem like much - a bunch of meetings, organizing and planning - but at the end of each day I am exhausted.  If I try to do anything more than easy rides on the bike it begins to feel more like a responsibility than a pastime.  I get grumpy when I realize how much daylight we have lost now that I'm starting my rides so much later in the day.  And then I remember that we haven't been to the grocery store and there is no plan for dinner...

So, nothing more than a few easy rides.  This year, this plan is looking brilliant, as we have had two weeks of 90+ temperatures.  Just commuting to work on the bike has me drained (and dripping).  It is also a nice time to let go of mountain bike racing and start to think about cyclocross...

Ah, cyclocross...

I did drag Max out last week for a grass workout.  It turns out he needs a bit of work.  It is strange, but I think my growing strength on my road and mountain bike have me ready for a more aggressive position on the CX bike.  I also realized that I've never gotten the steerer cut on my Easton fork.  So, I now have an appointment at my LBS for a fitting and some mechanical work this week.

And the real benefit of a couple of light weeks?  I am ready to jump back in to some hard training for September.  Ready to foolishly race around parks jumping on and off my bike, throwing it over my shoulder, and hopping over barriers made from PVC tubing.  After all, the first cyclocross race is three weeks away!

You Might Also Like

0 comments