January in Review

7:29 PM

I promised myself that I would be more intentional about my goals in 2014 - that I would actually do more than write them down at the beginning of the month.  That I would take concrete steps to accomplish them.
How did I do in January?  Meh.
It turns out January was not the fresh beginning that I hoped it would be.  But c’mon, don’t we always trick ourselves into that frame of mind every year?  January was...tougher than usual.  My OCD flared into the awful (yup, I have OCD...not the cute kind where you check the lock a second time, but the horrific kind where you can’t leave work for an hour-and-a-half because you can’t convince yourself that the file cabinet is locked), the weather was foul, and I couldn’t possibly feel more like a couch potato.  
Yet, it wasn’t totally bad.  I did (technically) finish two books: Wild by Cheryl Strayed and Love is a Canoe by Ben Schrank. (Aside: Canoe is a good book - definitely recommend it.) 
Though I didn’t run two days a week for the month, I did get to the point where I feel strong in my running shoes again.  (I’m not even tempted to walk/run!)  
The staircase project has progressed into something much, much bigger (it involves stripping and replacing textured wallpaper), but it did actually progress (though...it is not yet complete).  

There is something strangely satisfying about peeling away old painted wallpaper...
Finally, we did get out to see some great films in January - Philomena was amazing (I certainly didn’t see that one coming, I can tell you that!), Nebraska was great (if a little close to home...oh, so like my family…), and while Inside Llewyn Davis wasn’t as good as I wanted it to be, I’m still singing “Dink’s Song” on a daily basis.  
So, here’s to a month gone by, and here’s to my optimistic heart that February will bring brighter, longer, and warmer days.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments